Monday, March 05, 2007

Music, Musicals, Musicians, and Me

A fellow blogger and a good friend commented that my blog is a smorgasbord of personal and business matters, that I must change it because it has implication(s) in my my "image" as a respected business consultant. Of course there is no denying that my day job pays the rent but my life is not defined by my marketing and business consultant persona. I guess what keeps me sane in this mad.. mad.. corporate world is my ability to switch from being Tim the consultant to Tim a simple guy who enjoys being lost in the crowd. To be incognito. To pursue the interests that make me whole.... that make me enjoy life.

Few months ago I was a mad shopper. I pocketed several CD's of various genres, and boy I am now loving gospel, pop rock, and alternative music. My usual jazz and bossa nights are now interrupted with music from Mahalia Jackson and Salie Martin. I like the intensity of gospel singers. I feel like the holy spirit is invading my serene pad whenever Mahalia reaches the high notes (which is a great antidote to the cold, ruthless, and impersonal business arena)

Last month I watched two musicals: Music and Lyrics and Dream Girls. That completed the mix. The latter is alive with the sound of music and blinding production numbers. Jennifer Hudson's portrayal is heartfelt but what floored me is Eddie Murphy's superb performance. I did not know that the nutty professor could sing!

Music and Lyrics is a romantic comedy but what the heck! I love the songs and I could relate to Hugh Grant as Alex Fletcher because he could be romantic without being too cheesy. Since I've been trying to write songs too (wrote one in 1997 and won second place in the Rotary International Philippine contest, one jingle for a beauty company, and recently another jingle for children's vitamins) my interest in writing was rekindled. Do not be surprised if I turned in two new compositions (been trying to doodle some words while working for a "mad" photoshoot in Bicol).

See, when I feel like retreating from the negativity and pressures around me, I am assured that I have the company of great artists ranging from the celebrated Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday to Bong Penera, Sitti, and the muse of my life ... diminutive French singer Edith Piaf.


Some songs could be melancholic, tragic, and painful but they have healing power.... they mend our soul, defy our fears, and will never tire to mimic our lives...... waking us every morning to provide the right tempo for our life..... or a thud in our hearts.

1 Comments:

At 7:50 AM, Blogger edge said...

I love musicals. Rock operas specifically. Try getting a copy of the musical 'Rent' on VCD. Ganda.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home